Upcoming Course Events
The table below lists our currently scheduled training events for Certified Fiber Optic Specialist – Outside Plant (CFOS/O) provided by Netcom Training.
You can show your interest in a new event for this course by submitting your email below.
Course Prices & Registration
- Netcom Assessment Member
- IBEW Member
- Public Member
GST added at checkout.
Registration for this course is currently closed.
Please check back soon!
Course Level: Intermediate to Expert. Students must have completed CFOT or CPCT within the preceding 12 months or have renewed their FOA membership within that time frame prior to enrolling in CFOS/O.
This course is designed for anyone interested in learning how to properly install Outside Plant (OSP) Fiber Optics Cabling. This Fiber Optic Training combines lecture sessions and hands-on activities to prepare the student to take the CFOS/O hands on and written exams that are sanctioned by the FOA (Fiber Optics Association) and given and graded the final class day.
This course introduces the student to industry standards governing the installation, testing, and troubleshooting of OSP fiber optics cable. Students will learn how to properly identify OSP fiber cabling types, recognize various outside plant closures used in OSP fiber installation, install, prepare, terminate, splice, and properly test and troubleshoot installed OSP fiber cable to existing standards. Prerequisite: Student MUST have successfully passed the basic CFOT course within the preceding 12 months or have renewed their FOA membership within that time frame prior to attending this CFOS/O course.
Course Outline / Competencies:
• Safety practices for working with Fiber Optic Cable
• Identify common types of fiber optic cable and hardware
• Install and ground loose tube and ribbon cable in a splice case
• Assemble a 450 D FOSC
• Assemble and install buffer tubes onto splice trays
• Describe common installation methods and equipment
• Test and troubleshoot installed outside plant fiber optic cable
• Analyze and identify components of common splice documents
Course Tuition Covers the Following:
• All handouts
• All lab supplies
• Exam fee
• Three year FOA membership
• Wall mount certifiate from NETCOM
• Wallet sized FOA certification card
• All necessary hand tools and test equipment will be supplied by NETCOM